Educational problems Table

IELTS Writing Task 1: ‘educational problems’ answer

Let’s look at the first two paragraphs of my model answer for the task below.

The table below gives information about the problems faced by children in two primary schools in 2005 and 2015.

Introduction: paraphrase the question statement
The table compares two primary schools in terms of the proportions of their pupils who experienced seven different educational problems in the years 2005 and 2015.

Overview: describe two main or general points
It is noticeable that school A had higher proportions of children with all seven educational difficulties in both years. However, while school A managed to reduce the incidence of most of the problems between 2005 and 2015, school B saw an overall rise in the percentage of children who were struggling.

The table compares 2 primary schools in which students have to deal with 7 different problems in education in 2005 and 2015.

The proportions of children facing all seven issues had remained much higher in school A rather than those in school B for 10 years. However, while school A managed to reduce the influence of most of the problems between 2005 and 2015, school B saw an overall increase in the number.

In 2005, 42% of pupils in school A had a hard time following instructions, whereas only 6% of those in school B. Similarly, between 30 and 40 percent of children attending school A found it difficult to overcome problems in spelling, listening skills, verbal expression of ideas, and concentration in lessons, while the equivalent figures for school B stood between 5 and 15 percent.

In 2015, school B had doubled the proportions of children who struggle with spelling and following instructions, from 5% to 10% and from 6% to 12%. However, the percentage of school A’s students decreased by 5% and 24% in the same areas. This school also saw falls of 22%, 15%, and 14% in concentration, listening, and verbal expression.

The table compares the figure of students who struggled with different educational problems in two primary schools between 2005 and 2015.

Overall, school A had higher percentages of students who experienced all educational problems in both years. However, there was a downward trend in the propropotions of students facing problems in school A, whereas those in school B saw an overall increase.

In 2005, 42% of children in school A had difficulty in following instructions, while only 6% of school B’s children faced this problem. Between 30% to 40% of pupils in schools had troubles with spelling, listening, verbal expression and concentration in lessons, whereas the figures for school B stayed at between 5% and 15%.

In 2015, the figures for children having educational problems were slightly different in two schools. There was a 24% fall in the proportion of students in school A finding it difficult to follow instructions, and this school also decreased by 22%, 15%, 14% and 5% in the percentages of pupils having problems in the areas of concentrations, listening, verbal expression and spelling. In contrast, the proportions of children in school B who struggled with spelling and following instructions increased twofold, to 10% and 12% respectively, and those in school B who had problems with handwriting, concentration in lessons still remained the same level.

IELTS Writing Task 1: correct the mistakes

Here are some sentences that people wrote below this lesson. Can you correct the mistakes and/or change and improve the sentences?

1. In 2005, School A faced major problem in Following Instructions about 42%.
  2. In comparison to 2005, spelling and following instructions have doubled over 10 years.
  3. For example, 6% students having troubles in spelling in 2005.
  4. Handwriting accounted level off with 28% in two years, yet it was the most percentage of the problem in 2015.
  5. Followed by the same number 35% of students in listening skills and verbal expression of ideas.
1 Like

IELTS Writing Task 1: corrected sentences

Here are my corrections for the sentences that I showed you last week.

1) Sentence containing mistakes
In 2005, School A faced major problem in Following Instructions about 42%.

Corrected version
In 2005, 42% of children in school A had difficulty following instructions.

2) Sentence containing mistakes
In comparison to 2005, spelling and following instructions have doubled over 10 years.

Corrected version
In school B, the proportion of pupils who struggled with spelling and following instructions doubled over the 10-year period.

3) Sentence containing mistakes
For example, 6% students having troubles in spelling in 2005.

Corrected version
For example, 6% of students in school B had trouble with spelling in 2005.

4) Sentence containing mistakes
Handwriting accounted level off with 28% in two years, yet it was the most percentage of the problem in 2015.

Corrected version
Handwriting became school A’s most significant problem in 2015, although the percentage of children experiencing handwriting difficulties at that school was the same in both years.

5) Sentence containing mistakes
Followed by the same number 35% of students in listening skills and verbal expression of ideas.

Corrected version
In 2005, 35% of students in school A were struggling with listening skills and verbal expression of ideas.

2 Likes

IELTS Writing Task 1: main paragraph decisions

When the graph, chart or table shows a lot of information, it’s difficult to decide what to put in your main ‘details’ paragraphs.

Here’s a method that I often use to help me with this decision: expand on the two points that you made in your ‘overview’ paragraph.

For example, look at this lesson. We can use the two points in the overview paragraph to guide our decisions about what to put in paragraphs 3 and 4:

Paragraph 3
Expand on the sentence about school A having higher proportions of children with educational problems. In other words, we can make some easy comparisons between school A and B. Don’t worry about changes in the figures or comparing the two years.

Paragraph 4
Now expand on the sentence about changes i.e. falling percentages in school A and rising figures in school B.

I’ll use this technique to write my full answer next week.

1 Like

IELTS Writing Task 1: ‘educational problems’ full answer

Here’s my full answer for the table task shown in this lesson:

The table compares two primary schools in terms of the proportions of their pupils who experienced seven different educational problems in the years 2005 and 2015.

It is noticeable that school A had higher proportions of children with all seven educational difficulties in both years. However, while school A managed to reduce the incidence of most of the problems between 2005 and 2015, school B saw an overall rise in the percentage of children who were struggling.

In 2005, 42% of school A’s pupils found it difficult to follow instructions, whereas only 6% of pupils in school B experienced this problem. Similarly, between 30 and 40 per cent of children attending school A had problems in the areas of spelling, listening, verbal expression and concentration in lessons, while the equivalent figures for school B stood at between 5 and 15 per cent.

In 2015, the difference between the two schools was less pronounced. Notably, the proportion of children who struggled to follow instructions fell by 24% in school A, and this school also saw falls of 22%, 15%, 14% and 5% in the figures for children who had problems with concentration, listening, verbal expression and spelling. In school B, however, the proportion of children who struggled with spelling and following instructions doubled, to 10% and 12% respectively, and there was almost no change in the incidence of listening, verbal or concentration problems.

2 Likes

IELTS Writing Advice: analyse my answers

There are lots of sample answers for writing task 1 and 2 in the lessons on this blog. If you analyse them carefully, you’ll learn about planning or selecting ideas, paragraph building and sentence structure; you’ll also find some good vocabulary ideas that you can ‘steal’ from me.

Another thing you’ll notice is that my answers are not perfect (although they are good enough for a band 9). There is always something that could be added, or an idea that could be better developed. But this is normal when you have a time limit, and when you’re only expected to write 150 or 250 words.

Next Thursday, I’ll write a short analysis of the writing task 1 answer that I shared earlier this week (here). Maybe you could analyse that answer too: what can we learn from it, and were there any imperfections?

1 Like

IELTS Writing Task 1: answer analysis

On Saturday I suggested that you analyse the task 1 answer that I shared in this lesson. Here’s my quick analysis:

Task achievement
The answer fulfils the requirements of the task by giving a clear overview of the main trends shown in the table, and by presenting key details. Good comparisons are made between the two schools and the two years.

Coherence and cohesion
Paragraphing is clear, information is presented in a logical order, and cohesion (e.g. linking and comparing) does its job without attracting too much attention.

Lexical resource
A wide range of vocabulary is used in a natural and sophisticated way, with no mistakes. Some less common items of vocabulary are used.

Grammatical range and accuracy
Most importantly, there are no mistakes in the answer. A range of sentence structures is used with full flexibility and accuracy.

Note:
Can you find some examples of good cohesion (linking / comparing) and less common vocabulary in my answer?

1 Like

The table gives information about the percentages of two primary schools’ students who had different educational problems in 2005 and 2015.

It is clear that the proportions of students in school A was higher at all problems in 2 years. While school A tried to fall difficulties to children from 2005 to 2015, school B witnessed an increase in the proportion of pupils who faced with difficulties.

In 2005, school A saw 42% of children who were struggled with following instructions problem, whereas only 6% of students in school B had this problem. From 30% to 40% of pupils in school A faced with problems in spelling, listening, verbal expression and concentration in lessons, while the figures for school B was between 5% and 15%.

In 2015, the difference between the figures of two schools’ students who struggled with problems was less clear. The percentage of pupils who experienced following instructions problem reduced by 24% in school A, and this school also noticed decreases of 22%, 15%, 14% and 5% in the figures for children who had problems with concentration, listening, verbal expression and spelling. On the contrary, children attending school B struggled with spelling and following instructions problems doubled, to 10% and 12% respectively. There was no change in the proportions of children who had listening, verbal or concentration problems.

The table compares two primary schools in terms of seven educational problems which students experienced in the years 2005 and 2015.

Overall, it is clear that school A had far higher proportions of students with all educational difficulties in both years. However, school A reduced the incidence in most of the problems, whereas school B witnessed a upward trend in the percentage of children who had problems.

In 2005, up to 42% of school A’s students had difficulty in following instructions, while only 6% in school B experienced this problem. The figures for students of school A who had problems in the areas of spelling, listening, verbal expression and concentration in lessons are between 30% and 40%, whereas the figures for those categories in school B stood at 5% and 15%.

In 2015, the difference between the two schools was less pronounced. The pupils who struggled to follow instructions fell to 18%. The trend is the same with students who had problems with concentration, listening, verbal expression and spelling. These figures fell by 22%, 15%, 14% and 5%. In contrast, the proportion of children who had difficulties in spelling and following instructions doubled in school B, at 10 and 12 percent respectively, and there was a slight change in the incidence of listening, verbal or concentration problems.

The table compares various academic problems faced by primary students in School-A and School-B in 2005 and 2015.

Overall, it is clear that, between these years, School-A could reduce most of its students’ problems, while there was a rise of percentage of students who suffered from education problems in School-B.

As shown in the table, the two serious problems in School-A in 2005 were low concentration in lessons and difficulty in following instructions, accounted for more than 40%. On the other side, in School-B, the rate of students who faced these difficulties was 15% and 6% respectively. Around 35% students in School-A had poor listening skills and weak expression of ideas while these proportions were 11% and 14% in School-B. Student in School-A also faced higher difficulties in other issues such as reading ability, handwriting and spelling more than student in School B

By 2015, School-A improved percentage of students who had difficulties in education. It could keep the proportions of students, who faced problems under 30%, especially, the percentage of students facing low concentration and instruction following reduced a half compared to 2005. In School-B, the rate of those who had problems in spelling and following instructions doubled, while other problems remained almost at the same rate among students.