IELTS Speaking Part 1: 'numbers' topic

IELTS Speaking Part 1: ‘numbers’ topic

In last week’s speaking lesson I gave you 5 simple rules for your part 1 answers. Here are some more example answers in which I follow those rules:

1) Do you have a favourite number or a number that is special to you?

Yes, my favourite number is… because it’s the day I was born on, and it’s my lucky number.

2) Do any numbers have special importance in your country?

Yes. The number 7, for example, is supposed to be a special number in my country. It appears in so many places, like the seven days of the week, the seven main notes in music, and the seven ages of man that Shakespeare described.

3) Are you good at remembering numbers? Why / why not?

No, I’m not very good at remembering numbers. I don’t think it’s necessary to learn them by heart; I just save them on my phone.

4) What numbers do people often have to memorise?

The most important number to remember on a daily basis is the pin number for your bank card. Without this you can’t pay for anything or get cash out.

IELTS Speaking Part 1: five simple rules

Part 1 of the IELTS Speaking test is supposed to be easy. You don’t need to give ‘difficult’ answers, and you should try to avoid making mistakes.

Here are five simple rules for Speaking Part 1:

1. Keep your answers short, then stop with confidence.
  2. Answer the questions using full sentences.
  3. Use words from the examiner’s question in your answer.
  4. If possible, give a reason for your answer.
  5. Don’t forget to say “yes” or “no” when necessary.

Here’s an example to illustrate these points:

Do you like parks?

Yes, I like parks because they are great places to relax. If you live in a city, a park is often the only place where you can escape from the noise and the traffic.