IELTS Speaking Part 1: 'rain' topic

IELTS Speaking Part 1: ‘rain’ topic

Here are some part 1 questions that a student sent me. I haven’t seen this topic before, so it’s a good one for us to practise.

1. Do you like rain? Why / why not?
  2. Do you think that rain affects people’s mood?
  3. Does it often rain where you live?
  4. Have you ever been caught in the rain without a coat or umbrella?

Can you give a short, simple, direct answer with a reason for each question, without making any mistakes?

IELTS Grammar: ‘rain’ topic mistakes

The following sentences were written by students below yesterday’s lesson. Can you correct or improve them?

1. Yes, I like when it rains. Because it makes the weather awesome.
  2. People say environment affects mood and I am with this.
  3. After few seconds it started raining and I was beaten heavily.
  4. Taichung, my city only rain in summer.
  5. I don’t like the rainy day, when it is dropping on my face, let me feel sticky.
  6. I’ve got caught in the rain several times so far as I got nothing to cover me at that time.
1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 1: ‘rain’ answers

Here are my answers to the ‘rain’ questions from last Friday’s lesson. Remember: there’s no need to show off in this part of the speaking test, so short, simple answers are best.

1) Do you like rain? Why / why not?

No, not at all. It rains far too often in Manchester, where I live, and I’m fed up of it; I wish we had more sun!

2) Do you think that rain affects people’s mood?

Yes, definitely. I think rainy days and grey skies can be a bit sad and depressing. Where I live, people are much more cheerful when the sun comes out.

3) Does it often rain where you live?

Yes, unfortunately it does. As I said, Manchester is known for being a rainy place; you can’t trust the weather here, because it can cloud over and start raining at any moment.

4) Have you ever been caught in the rain without a coat or umbrella?

Yes, many times. Just last week I went out without an umbrella and got soaked; I did have a coat on, but it didn’t really help.

1 Like

IELTS Advice: part 1 speaking technique

Did you notice how I answered each question in yesterday’s lesson? Here’s the first part of each of the four answers:

• No, not at all.
  • Yes, definitely.
  • Yes, unfortunately it does.
  • Yes, many times.

After answering with these short phrases, I then explained my answers in more detail, using full sentences.

I think this is a nice technique that you could try. Start with a short “yes or no” answer (e.g. yes I do, no we don’t, yes it certainly is…), and then explain your answer fully. Perhaps this technique will give you a few extra seconds to think before you give your full answer.

1 Like