IELTS Speaking Part 2: 'countryside' topic

IELTS Speaking Part 2: ‘countryside’ topic

Here’s a recent question that a student told me about:

Describe an enjoyable day out in the countryside that you had.
You should say

- where you went on this day out
- who you were with
- what you did
- and explain why you enjoyed the day

Feel free to share your ideas in the comments area below this lesson. I’ll continue with this topic next Friday.

IELTS Speaking Part 2: ‘countryside’ vocabulary

Before we try the ‘countryside’ task that I shared in last week’s lesson, let’s see if we can find some good ideas to help us. There are plenty of tourism websites with descriptions of places to visit in the countryside, so we should be able to “steal” some nice phrases.

I searched online for descriptions of a real place that I’ve visited, called the “Tissington Trail”. Here are some words and phrases that I found:

• following the route of a former railway line
  • transformed into a recreational trail
  • ideal for walkers, cyclists and horse riders
  • mostly flat, with a few dips and gentle inclines
  • passes through a picturesque / charming village
  • takes you through a historic railway tunnel
  • an eerie sound installation in the tunnel
  • the whistles and clunks of a steam train
  • tearooms and picnic areas
  • a dramatic limestone ravine
  • stunning scenery
  • fantastic views
  • an abundance of colourful wild flowers
  • a feeling of peace and tranquility
  • breathe in the fresh air
  • traffic-free, and away from the hustle and bustle

I’ll try to use some of these phrases in my full answer.

1 Like

IELTS Speaking: correct the mistakes

The following sentences were written by students below this lesson, and describe an enjoyable day in the countryside. But can you find and correct the mistake(s) in each one?

1. If I have chance to go there, I love to visit there again soon.
  2. I took too many beautiful pictures on my camera.
  3. It’s about 80 km far from the city.
  4. I am going to talk about one day that I have spent in the countryside on May.
  5. It was a countryside near to my city, where some relatives were living there.
1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 2: ‘countryside’ answer

Describe an enjoyable day out in the countryside that you had.
You should say

- where you went on this day out
- who you were with
- what you did
- and explain why you enjoyed the day

Here’s my sample answer for the task above. I’ve tried to use most of the phrases from this lesson.

I’m going to describe a recent trip to a lovely place called the Tissington Trail. The Tissington Trail is a path or track that follows the route of a former railway line through beautiful countryside in the county of Derbyshire, here in the UK. The old railway line was taken up many years ago, and it was transformed into a recreational trail that is ideal for walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

I went to the Tissington Trail because we had some family members, my brother and sister-in-law and their daughter, staying with us over the weekend. They had come up to Manchester from London, and they wanted my wife and me to take them somewhere where they could breathe in some fresh countryside air and get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

To reach the trail we had to park in Tissington itself, which is a charming, picturesque village. We hired some bicycles there and set off along the trail. It was an easy ride because the trail is mostly flat, with just a few gentle dips and inclines, and we were able to enjoy the stunning scenery as we passed through areas of woodland, a dramatic limestone ravine, and grassy meadows that were covered with colourful wild flowers.

The part of the day that I enjoyed the most was when we cycled through a historic railway tunnel on our bicycles. The tunnel has been fitted with a sound installation that plays eerie steam train noises as you pass through it; we all loved the idea that the sounds transport you back in time, and that you feel like you’re on an old steam train with its whistles and clunking machinery. It was a really nice day out, and we all enjoyed relaxing in the village tearoom at the end of our bike ride.

1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘countryside’ topic

After the part 2 task about the countryside, the examiner would move on to some related questions in part 3. How would you answer the questions below?

1. What advantages does living in the countryside have, compared to living in a city?
  2. Have areas of countryside in your country changed since you were a child?
  3. Do you think that visits to the countryside should be something that schools offer to their children?
1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘countryside’ answers

Here are my sample answers to the questions that I shared last week.

1. What advantages does living in the countryside have, compared to living in a city?

I think there are some clear advantages to living in the countryside. First, with the clean air and lack of traffic or industry, countryside areas are much healthier places than the average city. Another benefit would be the sense of community that comes with living in a small village where everyone knows each other. Finally, it seems to me that the pace of life in the countryside is slower, and the people are more laid back and friendly, compared to the hustle and bustle and the stress of city life.

2. Have areas of countryside in your country changed since you were a child?

No, they haven’t changed very much where I live. The reason for this is that countryside areas close to Manchester tend to be protected, and so construction is not allowed. For example, I live quite close to an area called the Peak District, and nothing seems to have changed there since I was young; the hills, paths and woodland areas are just as they were.

3. Do you think that visits to the countryside should be something that schools offer to their children?

Yes, I think it’s a great idea for schools to take children on trips to the countryside, especially if those children live in a large town or city. A visit to the countryside can be both relaxing and educational; children can go for walks in the fresh air, and at the same time see animals and plants that they may never have seen before. If schools don’t offer this opportunity, some children will never see life outside the city.

1 Like