IELTS Speaking Part 2: educational TV programme

IELTS Speaking Part 2: educational TV programme

Here’s a recent exam question that somebody sent me. How would you answer?

Describe an educational television programme that you liked.
You should say

- what the programme was about
- when and where you saw it
- how you found out about this programme
- and why you liked it.

IELTS Speaking: correct the mistakes

Here are some of the sentences that students wrote in the comments below last week’s lesson. Can you correct the mistakes?

1. A few days ago, at the weekend occasion, An educational TV programme made me interested in…
  2. I watched a wonderful program which made me interested that program was related to stress.
  3. I was looking for a movie channel at my sister’s house last night then I was appealed by that one.
  4. I’m the kind of person who take care of healthy issue a lot.
  5. It provides many helpful guidances for graduated students who currently looking for their desire careers.
1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘TV programme’ topic

After the part 2 question that I showed you in last week’s lesson, the examiner would ask you some related questions in part 3 of the test.

Here are some part 3 questions about the ‘educational TV programme’ topic:

1. Do you think most people watch TV for education or for entertainment?
  2. Should TV play a role in educating children? How?
  3. How do you think TV viewing habits change as people get older?

Tip:
The secret to giving good answers in part 3 is to follow three simple steps: 1) give a direct answer 2) explain in more detail 3) give an example. There’s also a 4th step if you want to say even more. Look at this lesson to see an example.

1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘TV programme’ answers

Here are my sample answers to the questions that I shared with you last week. Notice that I use the 3 or 4 steps that I recommended, and remember to note down any good words or phrases that you find.

1. Do you think most people watch TV for education or for entertainment?

I think people watch TV primarily for entertainment. There are far more entertainment programmes than educational ones, and in my experience most people treat television as a form of relaxation in the evening. If I think about the most popular TV programmes in the UK, such as talent shows like ‘X Factor’ or soap operas like ‘Eastenders’, the focus is definitely on entertainment rather than education.

2. Should TV play a role in educating children? How?

Yes, it definitely should play a role in my opinion. Good children’s TV programmes should tell stories that contain some kind of lesson about how to behave or what is morally right and wrong. Many of the traditional fairy tales, such as ‘Cinderella’, have been made into TV programmes, and there is always a positive message in those stories.

3. How do you think TV viewing habits change as people get older?

TV viewing habits obviously change a lot as we get older. While toddlers might watch programmes about talking animals, teenagers prefer action and adventure or sports, and as adults we start taking an interest in news and politics. My own preferences, for example, have changed over the years - I would never have watched news programmes when I was younger. I think it would be very strange if our viewing habits didn’t mature!

1 Like

IELTS Vocabulary: from yesterday’s lesson

Here are the good words and phrases that I used in yesterday’s speaking lesson:

• primarily for entertainment
  • people treat television as a form of relaxation
  • talent shows
  • soap operas
  • the focus is on entertainment rather than education
  • what is morally right and wrong
  • traditional fairy tales
  • toddlers
  • we start taking an interest in
  • my own preferences have changed over the years
  • I would never have watched news programmes when I was younger
  • our viewing habits mature (‘mature’ is used as a verb)
1 Like

IELTS Speaking: 3 parts, same topic

A useful way to practise IELTS speaking is to work on one main topic that might appear in all three parts of the test. For example, take the topic of “television”:

Part 1 questions:

1. Do you like watching television?
  2. How much time do you spend watching TV programmes?
  3. What types of programmes do you prefer? Why?
  4. Do you think it’s bad for children to watch television?

Part 2 task:

Describe a television programme that you enjoyed watching. You should say

• what type of TV programme it was
  • where you watched this programme
  • what the programme was about
  • and why you enjoyed watching it.

Part 3 questions:

1. Why do you think television is so popular among people of all ages?
  2. Do you think people will watch less television in the future?
  3. Do you see television as being educational or just a form of entertainment?
1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: analyse my answer

If you’ve read my advice about how to answer part 3 questions, you’ll be able to analyse the answer below. Can you comment on the way I’ve organised or “built” the answer, and point out any good vocabulary and/or grammar? You should find several verb tenses, for example.

Do you think people will watch less television in the future?

Yes, I do think people will watch less television in the future, although that doesn’t mean that they will watch fewer programmes or spend less time looking at screens. What I think will happen, and it’s already happening, is that people will watch things on the Internet, through websites like YouTube. To use a personal example, I used to watch TV in the evenings, but now I often choose to stream videos, films and TV series through my computer instead.

1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 1: finish my sentences

How would you finish my answers to the questions below?

1) Do you like watching television?

Yes, I like watching television, especially in the evenings, because…

2) How much time do you spend watching TV programmes?

On an average day, I watch… and… , so I probably watch about…

3) What types of programmes do you prefer? Why?

My favourite types of programmes are… and… because…

4) Do you think it’s bad for children to watch television?

Maybe too much television would be a bad thing, but I think that…

1 Like