IELTS Speaking Part 2: ideal home

Describe the ideal home that you would like to live in. You should say

• what your ideal home would look like
  • where it would be
  • and why you would like to live there.

My advice for this topic is similar to the advice I gave for the vehicle topic:

1. Make a quick decision about the type of home you will describe.
  2. Talk about each bullet point in as much detail as you can.
  3. Maybe choose something adventurous like a castle or an apartment on the top floor of a skyscraper, even if it’s not really your ideal home. You might find it easier to talk for 2 minutes about something more imaginative.

Several people shared their descriptions of an ideal home in the comments below last week’s lesson. If you do some research online, you’ll find lots of websites with pictures and descriptions of interesting homes. Click here to see my favourite.

Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 17.40.37

“Perched on the edges of daunting precipices, these cliff and mountain homes are some of the scariest places you could possibly think to live. Some have survived for centuries while others are (quite literally) on the brink of destruction.”

1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘home’ topic

Let’s have a look at some part 3 questions from Cambridge IELTS book 11. I’ve answered the first one for you. How would you answer questions 2 and 3?

1) How easy is it to find a place to live in your country?

Well, it depends on how much money you are able to spend and where exactly you want to live. Of course, if you have the money, it’s very easy to find a place to live. However, house prices have been on the rise in recent years, and it is becoming difficult for young adults to buy their first homes, or even to pay rental prices in some areas, particularly in central London.

2) Do you think it’s better to rent or to buy a place to live in?

3) Do you agree that there is a right age for young adults to stop living with their parents?

1 Like

IELTS Speaking Part 3: ‘home’ answers and structure

Here are my answers to questions 2 and 3 from last week’s lesson:

2) Do you think it’s better to rent or to buy a place to live in?

I think it’s better to buy your own home if you can afford to do that. Buying your own home is a better investment in the long term, because you can sell the home and perhaps even make a profit on it. The alternative is to pay rent to a landlord who can ask you to leave at any moment.

3) Do you agree that there is a right age for young adults to stop living with their parents?

I’m not sure what the ‘right’ age would be, but I do agree with the principle that young adults should try to live alone if they can. For some people, the right age is when they get their first full-time jobs and can afford to pay rent, and for others it’s when they start university and move into a hall of residence with other students. This was what happened in my case; I moved out of the family home at age 18 when I started university.

Let’s look at how I structured the above answers.

Answer 2
Three sentences: 1) answer 2) explain 3) alternative

Answer 3
Three sentences: 1) answer 2) explain 3) personal example

As usual, I try to use the technique shown in this lesson to build longer answers.

1 Like