WT1 Tense Onboarding

IELTS Writing Task 1: past simple, past perfect

Several people have asked me to explain how the past perfect tense can be used in writing task 1. The example below might help.
Look at the following description:

In 2002, the cost of an average house in the UK was £130,000. By 2007, the average house price had risen to almost £190,000.

Notice the verbs used with “in” and “by”:

• I used “in” with the past simple “was” to talk about what happened in one year only (2002).
  • I used “by” with the past perfect “had risen” to talk about an increase that happened in the years before 2007 (from 2002 to 2007).

Try writing your own sentences with “in” and “by” to practise describing numbers with the past simple and past perfect.

Modes of travel table - Cambridge 6 - IELTS Writing Task 1 Samples - 8IELTS - Học Tiếng Anh công nghệ cao

1 Like

IELTSSimon_ModelImporter

12d

IELTS Writing Task 1: how to describe future years

Several people have asked me how to write about future years on a graph or chart. For example, what tense should you use if the graph shows the year 2025?

Try this exercise: take a description of past years, and rewrite it with future years.

Past:

In 1999, the proportion of people using the Internet in the USA was about 20%. The figures for Canada and Mexico were lower, at about 10% and 5% respectively. In 2005, Internet usage in both the USA and Canada rose to around 70% of the population, while the figure for Mexico reached just over 25%.

Future (I’ve changed the years and the verbs):

In 2015, the proportion of people using the Internet in the USA is expected to be about 20%. The figures for Canada and Mexico are likely to be lower, at about 10% and 5% respectively. In 2025, it is predicted that Internet usage in both the USA and Canada will rise to around 70% of the population, while the figure for Mexico should reach just over 25%.

2 Likes